Monday, September 14, 2009

The Hardship Letter

You want to keep your home, but you lost your “real” job and your part-time job just won’t quite make ends meet. Here is a sample hardship letter you can write to your lender, courtesy of USALS (US Attorney Legal Services www.usattorneylegalservices.com).


(Date)(Creditor Name)(Address)(Phone #)
RE: Hardship Letter
Dear Sir/Madam,
I am experiencing financial hardship due to (job loss, health problems, death in the family, high medical bills, military duty, failed business, reduced income….)
I have fallen behind on my payments because my income has dropped considerably since (month) and I can no longer afford the terms of the original loan.
Enclosed you will find some documents and statements that will substantiate my present economic situation. (Include copies of bank statements, proof of income, late notices, anything that can prove hardship.)
Since I have been a loyal customer of your financial institution for the last (2 Months, 2 Years), I’d like to ask for a (loan extension, lower interest rate, refinancing, short sale, debt settlement in the amount of ($),…)
I am sure this is only a temporary condition and very soon I will be able to make my payments in full again.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at (your phone # with area code.)
Thank you for your consideration and I’d really appreciate any help you can offer me.
Sincerely,
(Debtor Name)(Address)(Phone #)

Important tips:
1. State your problem clearly.
2. Do NOT blame the lender – be humble.
3. Write no more than 1 page.
4. Make it personal – touch their hearts.
5. Provide all necessary documentation.

DO NOT write a financial hardship letter if you:
· have legal issues
· are recently divorced
· are a student
· are simply overextended
· are threatening bankruptcy
A financial hardship letter is a necessary tool for those who want to keep their homes. It’s not a guarantee. Nothing in this life is guaranteed, but it is a major step in the right direction. What do you have to lose?

No comments:

Post a Comment